01ReluctantVegan.Blogspot.com

Monday, April 16, 2018

Vegan Spare Ribs!! #Vegan #OilFree #WholeFoodPlantBased #Kosher #Pareve # Hallal #FoodIsMedicine

Jackfruit Spare Ribs, Brown and Wild Rice, Baked Potato with Catsup
 I bought a quarter of a jackfruit at Randazzo's market just for fun. The whole fruit is mammoth! The price for the quarter of the fruit (about 5 pounds) was $7.50.  That's a pretty good deal considering the only thing I didn't use was the hard pits in the fruit and that intimidating outer layer of skin on the thing! I'm the only one in my house who eats this stuff so this qualifies as my batch cooking for the week.  From the inner part of the skin, which I am going to call the "pith" because that is what the white inner skin of an orange is called, I got 10 jackfruit spare ribs, pictured on my plate above.
Jackfruit Pulled Pork


 I used the inner yellow fruit along with the shreds between the bulbs of fruit to make 6 pulled jackfruit pork sandwiches.


Jackfruit Beef Medallions



I use the hard inner stem to make jackfruit beef medallions. There were more, but I ate them before I took pictures.

The ribs weren't very hard to make at all. In fact they were a kind of a bonus since all I set out to do was make the pulled pork. I think the hardest part was finding a quartered jackfruit!

Fillet
JACKFRUIT SPARE RIB RECIPE

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Fillet the pith from the skin of the jackfruit full thickness and discard the rough outer layer.
Cut the fillets into appropriate size strips.
Boil the strips for 15 minutes covered in water with salt, onion powder, garlic powder and 4 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
Remove the strips and set aside.
To the liquid add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of yellow mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper  and 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. If soy is ok with you as it is with me, add some low sodium soy sauce or Tamari to taste.Stir and simmer until it thickens.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the strips side by side on the paper and brush with the sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. Take them out and let them cool a little. Turn them over, brush with sauce and bake for another 20 minutes. Brush them with sauce one more time and place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until they just start to darken. Serve hot.

Please share, comment and follow me. I get lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your messages are appreciated!